Friday 25 May 2007

Give up the films Quentin

I never thought I’d say this but I’ve got no interest in the new Quentin Tarantino film. Back in the 90s I was such a fanboy – to the point I went to a Q&A screening of Reservoir Dogs and met him – but he’s really gone off the boil. Kill Bill was a disappointment in its patchy Part 1 and its conclusion was a waste of time to the point that I’ve forgotten what happened. Too long and too long coming. If Death Proof is shit he’s down to a 50/50 rating in my book. And already the reviews are very mixed.

Kill Bill did, however, have a great soundtrack again – Zamfir’s The Lonely Shepard is almost worth the admission price alone – and that looks to continue with Death Proof. One of the tracks on it is April March’s Chick Habit. It sounds like a playful old rock’n’roll/girl group record but was actually made in the 90s. It’s a cover of a Serge Gainsbourg track, translated into English.

He’s got a great ear for music, and an obvious passion (strange that this is not shared by many other directors – Martin Scorsese being an obvious exception – you’d think that the two would go hand in hand). Perhaps he should start his own record label and go into music. Now, that I could get enthusiastic for.

BONUS TRUFACT: April March is also one of the key animators for Ren & Stimpy.

Hear Chick Habit here but buy it if you like it.


POST BY KENDALL

No comments: