Thursday 31 May 2007

Oh how I hate the NME so.....

When will the NME stop digging itself into its black hole of tabloid idiocy? Yesterday I saw a few people looking at a copy and did a double take over the front cover. Is that Beth Ditto completely naked? “Yeah” they replied “It’s disgusting!”

Errr…No, it’s not. Not in the way they meant anyway. People sadden me more and more each day. It is disgusting that the NME feels it appropriate to use a naked cover shot just because the person is overweight. I’ve never seen any other girl completely naked on the cover before, but along comes someone overweight and willing and there she is. Is it some kind of irony, or is it just o.k. because people consider it non-sexual (except chubby chasers and people with brains)? Miss Ditto can do what she likes, no problem there at all, but I can only imagine that weasel faced arse of an editor thinking ‘yeah, this is going to gross people out so much, hahaha.’ Arse faced weasel. I notice that on their website they have a photo story of the shoot for the feature without a single image of her starkers, except for one checking the cover shot on a computer. So if they felt it was such a beautiful image to put on the cover, why not show us more? I can only surmise that it was not fascination of the sensual curves of a renaissance figure.

Stop me if you’ve heard this one before but…who still buys the NME, and why?

Meatbreak

2 comments:

SOURCE said...

i quite agree. when they won't even put her on the cover when she tops the Cool List this doesn't sit right. the right thing to do - if they really think she's so great - would be to stop talking about her weight altogether.

i hate connor - he's dragged the NME from an average mag (good up to the early 90s) to a pitiful comic.i saw them descibe who lee 'scratch' perry was in a editors brackets. talk about dumbing down. maybe i'm just too old for it now.

KENDALL

Meatbreak said...

I forgot about the cool list debacle. No further comment necessary. I wonder if I'm too old, then I realise that it's that kind of mindset that's the problem. How patronising to think that 'ver kidz' need their own simpler language to be spoken to with. Once you get older you can develop a whole new world of vocabulaire? No, this just won't do at all.