Thursday 24 May 2007

News from the horse’s mouth: The Stone Roses will never reform

I’ve got loads of stories from the Great Escape – it’s pretty good fun if you can find a way of avoiding queues – but here’s my favourite. I met Mani from The Stone Roses at the Happy Mondays gig on the pier. He came and sat down next to me and fellow SOURCE writer Ben and did an interview with BBC News. They kept asking him if he was going to reform the Roses and he was polite. One question too far and he whispered in Ben’s ear, “I’d rather lick the Queen Mum’s twat.” Ben looked aghast and said, “But she’s dead.” “Exactly!” cackled Mani.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Ben had already interrupted the interview with his assertion that the Roses should never reform, and I have to say he’s right. The comeback circuit is pretty much based around live gigs and they weren’t a great live band. Primarily cos Ian Brown can’t sing. A new Stone Roses album? I’m not sure I fancy it to be honest.

Strangely though, the reformed Monday’s were rather good. And they were dreadful both when I saw them in ’92 and when Ben saw them six years ago.

POST BY KENDALL

No comments: